Tuesday, August 05, 2008

RiverSculpture relocated to Woodfin



...to "Reynolds Village, an upscale residential, commercial and public space under construction in Woodfin." (Asheville C-T article here.)

I really enjoyed the RiverSculpture exhibition in the more frequently trafficked French Broad River Park on Amboy Road. My uneducated, gut opinion is that this is not really a destination exhibit but something that added a lot to a common use public space, complimenting the River Arts District and nearby downtown Asheville. (While many did visit the exhibit on purpose, I am sure, its charm to me was knowing how many happened upon it unexpectedly.)
I live in sight of Reynolds Village development. I applaud Woodfin for supporting this project after the city bailed on certain funding, but also think it is a bad fit.

Here's a modest gallery I shot last year.

2 comments:

ash said...

I blogged this a few days ago at Ashvegas, where there's a good discussion going. Click here.

I also think the new location is a bad fit.

zen said...

it's a shame. RSF 2007 was a wonderful space and collection of art and artists.

i have a gallery too of it:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/zen/tags/rsf/show/with/1304942560/?page=4