Monday, May 24, 2010

What to do with injured or orphaned wildlife in WNC

Image from Nicki817 on Flickr

It's spring, and spring always means injured wildlife and baby critters that need help.

Here are resources for what to do when faced with an animal that needs help, including contact information for wildlife rehabilitators, people who nurse injured animals back to health.


From Wild for Life: What to do if you find an animal

A few tips:

* Experts tell me that scratches and bites, even if they are mild, can be deadly for small animals. If the animal is bleeding, get it to a wildlife rehabilitator (rehabilitator listings follow below).

When my cats catch animals, I check for injuries. If there's not even a scratch and the animal behaves normally and is old enough to care for itself, I release.

If not, I get the animal to a licensed wildlife rehabilitator, someone who is trained to treat and heal injured wildlife.

* If you have indoor/outdoor pets that catch animals, keep a shoebox handy for transporting injured or orphaned wildlife. When you need it, you won't want to hunt for it.

* Rehabilitators commonly do not charge, but do take donations. If you can't donate now, get a brochure or mailing address and donate later.


My first place to call for help is the WNC Nature Center at 298-5600. They can commonly put me in touch with a rehabilitator, and I just drop my injured animal off to them for transport.

If the Nature Center can't help, try these online resources:

Buncombe county rehabbers

NC rehabilitators by county

Wildlife rehabbers in NC

Wildlife rehabbers by state

No comments: