Friday, February 01, 2008

Ashvegas leaves daily newspaper for Mountain X

Cross-posted from Ashvegas:

ASHEVILLE - Long-time Asheville Citizen-Times reporter and editor Jason Sandford announced today that he has resigned his job at the daily newspaper and will take his talents to the weekly Mountain Xpress in a move that has media mavens buzzing.



"I had a great run at the Citizen-Times and have many friends there. I'll miss them," Sandford said. "It was just time for me to move on, and Mountain Xpress offered me a great opportunity I just couldn't pass up."



"I also didn't want to be the last rat off a sinking ship," joked Sandford, who noted the massive changes rocking the beleaguered newspaper industry as it struggles to come to grips with the digital age of information delivery. He also noted C-T parent company Gannett's report today that fourth-quarter earnings were down a whopping 31 percent.



Reaction from Sandford's colleagues has been streaming in all afternoon. Columnist and reporter John Boyle said he knew something was up.



"Sandford's been growing his hair long for about six months, but I thought it was just a midlife crisis thing. I offered to let him borrow my thong and my deerskin drum, but he said he was fine. I knew that was bullshit," Boyle said. "I hope he has fun with those granola-eaters across the street."


Read the rest at Ashvegas. See you Saturday at the community media meet-up.

No comments: