Saturday, October 21, 2006

Vote!

i voted.I did. And here's photographic evidence!

You know something? It's a huge relief. I feel a sense of extremely comfortable detachment from the barrage of negative campaign advertising that's been flooding the airwaves (and will most likely escalate in the next 17 days). No matter how many ads I see from now until Election Day, it won't affect me at all.

Ahhhhhhhhhh.

One thing about the optical scan system (which I'm glad they implemented; they did manual paper balloting here in Buncombe County for the Primary, and the results were delayed until that Wednesday morning): it seems like it could be a very foolproof system. You fill in bubbles on the ballot form you're given (kind of like one of those old ScanTron test forms), and the scanning equipment automatically reads both sides of the form, registering your vote. (I checked: they weren't made by Diebold.) Filling out a paper ballot and scanning it electronically naturally solves the problem of having a paper backup. I'm guessing/assuming here that the equipment is programmed to look for ink marks within certain regions of the form, so make sure to fill the bubbles in completely!

Anyway, this is just a reminder that the Buncombe County Board of Elections will be operating ten one-stop voting locations six days a week during the run up to Election Day, and I highly recommend getting it out of the way early. Click here for more information and a list of locations. For those of you who are outside of Buncombe County, check with your local election board to see if they have early voting available. (I know that Henderson County is doing it, but I can't vouch for the other counties in the 11th District.)

So... vote, dammit!

No comments: