Monday, June 26, 2006

Public Radio A-Go-Go in WNC

You may have heard that WCQS is having a Capital Campaign, as I did while driving to and from somewhere. In the blurb, the reader announced that a new radio station was to be funded, which piqued my interest. I called the station and learned that the new station's license, WYQS 90.5, was purchased from Mars Hill College and will be used for...

[drum roll]

...an actual proper public radio news and information station, a la WFAE in Charlotte. I stream WFAE and Philly's WHYY because I really enjoy that type of programming. Don't get me wrong, I dig hours of classical music as well, but infohounds like myself live for Talk of the Nation, Here and Now, and other shows that have never graced our airwaves (unless an engineer at WCQS is late to the button). I'm thrilled, as you can tell, and WYQS could go live as early as this this summer or as late as next year. Fingers crossed for sooner rather than later.

1 comment:

Shad Marsh said...

We could use a Jazz station.